Monday 15 August 2016

A Semester in Japan


Sirine Rached Dhaouadi, an electrical engineering major, studied abroad at Nanzan University in Nagoya, Japan in Fall 2015. Dhaouadi said, “My semester in Japan was very different from what I am used to in engineering. I took language, culture and history courses focused on Japan and its different aspects. The huge contrast between my engineering background and what I was taking in Japan really made me realize how much I missed my major!” 

When asked why Dhaouadi chose to study abroad in Japan, she replied, “It was not my first time visiting the university. I knew the campus and the area well prior to studying there. There was something so surreal about studying in Japan. I have always been interested in the Japanese people, culture and lifestyle.” She said, “It was my parents who actually encouraged me to study in Japan. We spent a summer there and I really enjoyed and appreciated it. I also realized that this opportunity would help me be more independant and responsible. 

I think it’s important to study abroad to expand our knowledge to more than just the culture we are familiar with. As cliche as it sounds, when you’re travelling alone you’re doing some sort of soul searching to find out who you really are. As much as I tried to resist this cliche, I found myself living up to it. In a way my study abroad experience just showed me more of who I am, my potential, and my capabilities as an individual.” 


Dhaouadi advised, “Don’t be afraid to study abroad. It is so liberating and the opportunities and experiences are endless. If I could sum up this entire experience, I would say it is the best thing you can do in your four or five years at university.” 





 IXO Peer Advisor Sirine Dhaouadi in Japan


No comments:

Post a Comment